This January Steve and I decided to invest in a spiralizer, I introduced Steve to courgetti last year, and I honestly thought it would be the first and last time I’d cook it, expecting him to snub it and say it couldn’t be a replacement for pasta or noodles, after all it’s a vegetable. How wrong I was, he even went as far as saying courgetti was one of his favourite meals a few weeks ago! Before I was buying pre-made courgetti from Tesco, which was convenient, but no where near as good as the freshly made noodles from the spiralizer, plus it’s really fun to use!
Most of the recipes I have seen for courgetti use pesto which is delicious, however I wanted to try something different so came up with a healthy-ish carbonara sauce.
Ingredients | Serves 4
2 cloves of garlic
1 glug of olive oil
400g half fat fromage frais
3 egg yolks
200g smoked salmon
salt and pepper
- Spiralize all 8 courgette into fine noodles and set aside.
- Put into a jug the fromage frais, egg yolks, a handful of parmesan shavings, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Cut the smoked salmon into thin strips and set aside.
- Crush the garlic gloves then a small glug of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and lightly fry the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the courgetti to the pan with the garlic, stirring occasionally so the courgettes cook evenly. Cook for around 10 minutes, so that the courgettes don’t go too soggy.
- Then pour the jug of carbonara sauce over the courgetti and add the smoked salmon. Stir the mixture in and allow the sauce to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with some extra parmesan shavings.