I have no intention of breaking hearts this year, except for the biscuit kind. I was feeling very much in the Valentine’s spirit and treated my loved ones with two types of heart-shaped biscuits. They make the prefect, homemade little gift for your valentine…
CHOCOLATE AND MARZIPAN VALENTINE’S HEARTS
Makes about 36 small heart biscuits
200g Unsalted Butter, softened
200g Light Muscovado/Light Brown Sugar
300g Plain flour
4 tbspn Cocoa Powder (un-sweetened)
50g Cacao Nibs (or dark/milk/white chocolate chips if you prefer)
(Optional: Melted White Chocolate to decorate)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Lightly grease two baking sheets or line each tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter with the suagr in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder over the mixture. Add in the cacao nibs. Stir in, first with a wooden spoon and then with your hands, pressing the mixture together to make a fairly soft dough.
- Roll out half of the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm. Using your cookie-cutter, cut out the hearts, re-rolling the dough as necessary until you have about 36 hearts.
- Cut the marzipan into 36 equal pieces. roll into balls, flatten and place one on each of the hearts.
- Roll out the remaining dough, cut out more hearts, then place on top of the marzipan. Press the dough edges to seal.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until they are well risen and the surfaces are beginning to crack
- Cool on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes and then finish cooling on a wire rack.
Makes about 20 small heart biscuits
Basic Biscuit Mix Ingredients
50g Caster Sugar
100g Unsalted Butter, softened
150g Plain Flour
- Prepare a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the sugar and butter together for about 3-5 minutes until smooth and creamy (a hand-held electric whisk will be good to use here).
- Sift the flour and into the mixture in two batches, mixing each batch until just combined. Use your hands to bring the mix together to form a dough, but take care not to over work it.
- Roll out the dough to about 1cm thickness and using a heart cookie-cutter cut out the biscuits.
- Transfer the hearts onto the baking tray and chill the biscuits for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/150°C Fan/ Gas 3 whilst the biscuits are chilling.
- Bake the hearts for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Leave to firm up on the tray for a few minutes before transferring onto a cooling rack.
- Once cool, decorate however you wish. I used dried strawberries and white and pink coloured water icing, but they taste just as good plain or sprinkled with a little icing sugar.