This risotto is bursting with colour and flavour, it’s perfect for those colder autumn nights. The pumpkin can be substituted for butternut squash.
Ingredients | Serves 4
1 small pumpkin
2 glugs of olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
200g risotto rice
1lt chicken stock
175ml of white wine
200g goats cheese log sliced into 4 pieces.
8 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C .Cut up the pumpkin into small chucks after remover the skin and seeds. Place on a tray and drizzle with a olive oil. Put in oven and leave to roast for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time heat a glug of oil in a non stick frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until they have turned translucent.
- Add the risotto rice to the pan and stir for a couple of minutes so that it is coated in the olive oil. Add the wine and stir until it is almost all absorbed. Add the stock stirring now and then until it has all disappeared into the rice. Gradually keep adding the stock and occasionally stirring , until you have used up all the stock – this will take about 20 mins.
- When the rice has about 10 minutes left to go, put the streaky bacon under the grill, turning it until the bacon becomes really crispy. Then cut the bacon into pieces and add to the risotto.
- When the pumpkin has cooked, add to the risotto. Season the risotto if needed and once the rice is soft enough to eat serve up on plates topped with a piece of goats cheese.