I decided to have an experiment with some Christmas treats this weekend and made a more festive version of rocky road, ‘snowy road’ which uses white chocolate instead of the usual milk chocolate. You can totally make it your own, as many people do with rocky road recipes, adding in their favourite biscuits, sweets or fruits into the mix. For my festive twist I added some Christmas spices, Amaretti biscuits and some alcohol stepped fruits! You will need sharper tasting fruits for this one as white chocolate is so sweet, so something like sour cherries would also work. The ingredients for this are not an exact science so you can adjust accordingly to how much of something you like in there.
Ingredients – Makes 16 squares
500g good quality white chocolate (about 5 bars)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
80g Broken up Amaretti biscuits
100g Large Marshmallows, halved or Whole Mini Marshmallows
60g Apricots, halved
20g Candied Orange and Lemon Peel
5 tbsp Dark Rum (or the alcohol of your choice)
Icing sugar to dust
- Soak the apricots, cranberries and candied peel in the alcohol of your choice for about an hour. Drain off any alcohol that has not been soaked up by the fruit.
- Line a small square, no bigger than 30cm x 20cm with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the bars of white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of steaming hot water. Once melted, spread half of the melted chocolate on the bottom of your prepared tin. Cram the steeped fruit, biscuits, marshmallows over the top of the melted chocolate, ensuring the base is covered and there are no gaps. Sprinkle the spices over the filling evenly . Pour over the remaining melted white chocolate over the top.
- Leave to set in the fridge for 3 hours or until hard and set. You can leave it overnight if you want.
- Cut up into chunky squares and dust with icing sugar.